Congratulations on taking a step toward a tobacco-free life and greater freedom. Follow these instructions to accomplish your goal.
You are not just addicted to nicotine. You are addicted to the feel, taste, and routine of your particular brand or brands. The plan is to gradually reduce the need for your particular cigarettes by intermixing roll-your-own cigarettes with your own, then decreasing the use of the roll-your-owns by smoking the loose tobacco out of a chillum or tobacco pipe. Then with one final step, you’ll take the leap and be tobacco free.
- Take some time to visualize what it would be like to be released from your need for tobacco. Close your eyes and visualize your new life as a non-smoker. Try to really feel what it would feel like to be smoke-free. Make it as real as possible.
- Ask yourself why you want to quit smoking. Get very clear about the reasons and write them down. This is your motivation!
- Purchase the following from your local smoke shop or online:
- A pouch or can of roll-your-own tobacco. The several types of Natural American Spirit brand are recommended, namely Organic, Original, Perique, and U.S. Grown.
- A tobacco pipe or chillum. A good pipe guide can be found at http://www.ryomagazine.com/guide/gdpipes.htm
- Optional: A roller device, if you prefer not to roll your own by hand at first. But realize your rolling skills will get better with practice.
- Optional: Filters to insert into the rolled cigarette.
- Optional: Smoking Mixtures “Breathe Easy” or “Shaman’s Smoke” from Mountain Spirit Herbal Company. https://www.mountainspiritherbals.com/collections/smoking-mixtures
- To start, for a few cigarettes a day, instead of your usual cigarette, roll your own with your new rolling tobacco. Enjoy the return to a more simple, natural, sacred experience of tobacco. Intermix with your usual cigarettes as you choose, gradually increasing the ratio of roll-your-owns to your usual cigarettes. Gradually switch to roll-your-owns exclusively. If using the Smoking Mixtures, roll some of those as well as desired. They help heal the lungs.
- Next, wean off the roll-your-owns using the tobacco pipe or chillum. Use the pipe or chillum just to get a tobacco/ nicotine fix to get by, gradually reducing the amount you smoke. [Note: traditionally one does not put one’s mouth on the end of a chillum. Instead, after packing the bowl, with your non-dominant hand, put your four fingers down against your palm sort of like you’re making a letter “A” in sign language. Insert the non-bowl end of the chillum between your rounded pinky finger and palm and put your mouth to your rounded index finger and thumb. Create a relatively air-tight seal and light the tobacco while inhaling. Be careful of flying embers when the bowl gets low.]
- When you feel fairly ready, use the power of ceremony to help you quit. You have within you all the strength you need to move into a joyful new reality more reflective of the true you. You’ve practically weaned yourself off of cigarettes, nicotine, and who knows what other chemicals. It’s just a matter of making the commitment, and to do that, design a ceremony for yourself. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, but you want to create a clear sense of separateness from your regular day. If possible, go to a special place in nature. But at home or in nature, you might light a candle, beat a drum, use a chime, or set up an altar with natural materials and/or sentimental items.
All the ceremony needs to entail is for you to take some deep breaths and take a few sacred moments to be with your highest self and decide and commit with clarity to quit smoking before yourself and the Universe/ Source/ Wondrous Creator.
- That’s it! But also consider checking out a couple of helpful reads. One Spirit Medicine by Alberto Villoldo, © 2015, has remarkable advice for restoring one’s brain and mitochondria with good fats, cruciferous vegetables, and antioxidant supplements. The supplement ideas alone would be worth the read since they are likely much needed to recover from the effects of smoking. And Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender by David R. Hawkins, © 2012, teaches how to feel rather than stifle your emotions and has been shown to be more healing than years of therapy. The new and improved you can take quantum leaps in nourishment of body, mind, and soul.
Thank you for striving to improve your life and heal. The gains you make will effect us all. Please let us know how it goes by posting a comment.